How to obtain a marriage license:
Super easy! When you are ready to get married, and if you want to speed up the process, simply go online to this address: https://www1.nyc.gov/cityclerkformsonline/formslist.htm?recordType=CANCEL fill out the application for a “marriage license”. After this is filled out, you will go to the City Clerk’s office to pick up your license. Filling out the paperwork online will expedite this process & you can obtain your license in 10 minutes.
The fee for a Marriage License is $35 by credit card or money order payable to the City Clerk. A New York State Marriage License is valid for 60 days. Meaning we must conduct your ceremony within 60 days of your obtaining your license. A Marriage License issued in New York can be used anywhere within New York State.
Is a marriage legal elsewhere?
If you have any doubts about the legally of your nuptials in NYC. Please consult with your consulate, in case they need you to have your license notarized. But in general that is not necessary. All marriages performed here are binding worldwide.
Not a US Resident:
There are no residence or citizenship requirements to be married in New York. Just bring your passport. That’s it.
You are divorced?
- If you were married before, you must list all prior marriages. You must include your previous spouse’s full name; the date the divorce decree was granted; and the city, state, and country where the divorce was issued.
- All divorces, annulments, and dissolutions must be finalized before you apply for a new Marriage License.
- You may be asked to produce the final divorce decree.
- If your spouse is deceased, you must provide such spouse’s full name and date of death.
You and your prospective spouse must have one form of proper identification in order to apply for a Marriage license. Basically you need any Government issue id. that is not expired and has your photo in it. A passport will do. Also a driver’s license or an id card. You do not need a birth certificate to obtain your marriage license.
How long until I get my Certificate in the mail?
- If you send your marriage license in the mail after the ceremony, the government may take up to 6 weeks to mail your Certificate. It usually only takes a week or two, but you should be aware that this time frame varies depending on the volume of work that they have, and the number of employees available each day.
- If you are in a hurry, we suggest going back to the City Clerk’s office with your signed papers, and retrieve your license in person.
Blood Test not required
A blood test is not required to obtain a Marriage License in the State of New York.